[TNG] The Hunted

[TNG] Season 3, Episode 11: The Hunted

The HuntedRating: 3

Some elements of this episode remind me of Space Seed, although there’s nothing as good as Montalban in The Hunted. It’s still entertaining enough for a 3.

Read more at Memory Alpha

Notes:

A planet wants to get in on the Federation, and they also need a little help catching a fugitive

A planet, including a young Farmer Hoggett, wants to get in on the Federation, and they also need a little help catching a fugitive

They end up capturing him, but he's really tricky and super strong

They end up capturing him, but he’s really tricky and super strong

Troi tries to talk to him. We later find out that he has a very sympathetic position but he doesn't initially tell Troi about it cause he hates counselors

Troi tries to talk to him. We later find out that he has a very sympathetic position but he doesn’t initially tell Troi about it cause he hates counselors

He was altered to fight a war. He instinctively will do anything to survive. He's been kept on a colony/prison cause the citizens don't know what to do with them

He was altered to fight a war. He instinctively will do anything to survive. He’s been kept on a colony/prison ’cause the citizens don’t know what to do with them

When they try to beam him back to the cops, he somehow gets out of being transported

When they try to beam him back to the cops, he somehow gets out of being transported

Both sequences where they try to catch him are well done for the most part

Both sequences where they try to catch him are exciting and well done for the most part

The soldier ends up breaking his friends out of jail. Picard decides they're just going to leave

The soldier ends up breaking his friends out of jail. Picard decides to just leave and let these dummies sort it out on their own.

 

<Previous Episode——————————————————– Next Episode>

  • Wes

    Just a 3?! Thats crap. Having seen this episode as a child, I did not understand many of the underlying themes the writers and Mr. Roddenberry were trying to bring to the surface. Now as an adult, and a veteran of the Iraq War (2 tours with the 101st Airborne) the themes ring true and I find this episode hits close to home in addressing the alienation I have felt, and the complete disregard with which society has treated me since completing my time in the Army. I am frequently discriminated against, and people treat me completely different once they discover I am a combat veteran. I am Roga Danar.

    • http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/ Lets Watch Star Trek

      Yeah I felt the themes came through really well in this episode. One of the great things about TNG is they touch on a lot of different themes, and some hit home for people more than others. To be honest, I DO really like this episode, and even a lot of the episodes we give 2s to, but I try to think about someone who doesn’t already love the show as much as me. I don’t know, maybe I lose perspective sometimes. I’m sorry to hear people treat you badly because of your service. Any time I see a screaming eagle I immediately have more respect.

      • Wes

        Want Geordi’s advice? Double it! 😉

  • Geugie Hoogeveen

    Well.. I guess thematically it’s definately easily a 5, but the episode lacks dedication in its execution.

    Basically it’s Rambo 1 meets Jason Bourne in the ST-universe. And that’s pretty cool.

    The chase scene is sloppy, though (is the guard asleep?), the dialogue a little cheesy and the whole ‘veterans are people too’ morality has been layed on pretty thick.

    I’d give it a 4.

  • Rubio

    I don’t know how intentional it was–how well the script was researched–but the idea of soldiers being “programmed” and psychologically conditioned, as specifically mentioned in the episode, reflects actual military training.

    After the Second World War, it was discovered that only about 15% of soldiers who had the opportunity to fire at the enemy would actually do so–the other 85% could not bring themselves to shoot at another man, even in dire circumstances. 85% of soldiers essentially became conscientious objectors when it came time to make the decision to kill.

    Obviously, this split between firers and non-firers severely limits an army’s effectiveness. By incorporating psychological conditioning into military weapons training, since the Vietnam War the US military has boosted that percentage up to 95%. Soldiers are not only taught how to fight and shoot; they are literally programmed to be willing to kill, and this has all sorts of unintended consequences after the battle is over. I think this episode did an excellent job of portraying this theme.

    source: “On Killing” by Lt Col Dave Grossman